Chief Executive Officer (SLWDA01)
iSimangaliso Wetland Park Authority (IWPA) is a public entity under the Department of Environmental Affairs (DEA) and has been established in terms of the World Heritage Convention Act, 1999 (Act No. 49 of 1999). IWPA presents, promotes, and manages World Heritage values in a manner that facilitat es sustainable economic growth and development that is supportive of transformation in the tourism, conservation and research sectors whilst optimising environmental and commercial resources to empower historically disadvantaged communities in partnership with various stakeholders. iSimangaliso also leads in promoting the park as a preeminent tourism destination, as well as innovative and relevant research base consistent with conservation management principles.
iSimangaliso invites interested institutional leadership candidates to apply for the position of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) who will build on the established success of this institution and transition it to a level of significance. The CEO will be reporting to the iSimangaliso Board, as Accounting Officer, through the Board Chairperson, and the successful incumbent will be primarily based at the iSimangaliso Wetland Park Authority offices in St. Lucia, northern KwaZulu-Natal.
- The potential candidate must hold an appropriate graduate qualification; enhanced by a minimum of 7 years’ senior management experience and institutional/organisational leadership.
- A post-graduate qualification – preferably in business management (MBA/MBL), as well as fulfilling management role/s in the public sector (specifically state owned entities) will be an added advantage.
- Experience and understanding of tourism, economics, conservation, commercial development and understanding of community-led development approaches will also be an added advantage.
The appointee will have overall responsibility and accountability to:
- Lead the continued functioning of a high performing Park.
- Ensure compliance to relevant regulations, policies, protocol and expected performance.
- Champion organizational and economic transformation through active stakeholder partnership.
- Provide strategic leadership and build on iSimangaliso’s leadership in research, information management, ‘World Heritage Values’ and development.
- Ensure financial stability and park sustainability.
- Lead increase in project funding from various sources to deliver on iSimangaliso’s mandate.
- Lead strategic external relations and engagements.
- Grow knowledge and information management systems and within iSimangaliso.
- Establish deliberate human capital development, education and awareness in the park and sector in response to iSimangaliso’s mandate.
- Ensure the rendering of efficient and effective corporate services.
This executive position calls for the following attributes:
- Visionary and transformational leadership.
- Enabling people leadership.
- Excellent and innovative stakeholder and community relationship management.
- Good corporate governance and implementation of PFMA requirements.
- Ability to drive the Conservation, Heritage and Environmental agenda of SA.
- Passionate institutional leadership in general, and heart for the iSimangaliso Wetland Park, in particular to remain a world class park, providing value and development opportunities to local communities.
- Security clearance, credit checks, criminal records and competency test will be conducted as part of the selection process.
- Interested candidates should submit detailed Curriculum Vitae together with names of at least three contactable professional referees.
- Applications must be accompanied by a letter of motivation justifying the applicant’s suitability for the role.
- The CEO will be subject to an annual performance evaluation based on an annual performance agreement with the Board Chair on behalf of the iSimangaliso Board.
- The successful candidate will be expected to devote their time to the effective and efficient management of the Park and should disclose any financial interests they may have elsewhere that may pose conflict or distract full focus on iSimangaliso.
- Applicants from designated groups as per the Employment Equity Plan will be prioritised.
- Applications marked for attention of Mr Gerald Ntshane must be forwarded to the Director-General, Department of Environmental Affairs, Private Bag X447, Pretoria, 0001 or hand-delivered to: Environment House, Erf 1563 Arcadia Extension 6, Cnr Soutpansberg and Steve Biko Road, Arcadia, Pretoria. Applications may also be send via e-mail to email@example.com. Visit www.environment.gov.za for more information on iSimangaliso Wetland Park Authority.